Highest honour for Rathjen
Academic Peter Rathjen left Tasmania in December with the highest honour the University of Tasmania could bestow: Doctor of Letters honoris causa. Professor Rathjen had been the university's Vice-Chancellor since March 2011, making a significant impact on its operations and its place in the community. Chancellor Michael Field, AC, said the period had been marked by:
- Significant growth in domestic student numbers;
- A sustained climb in global rankings driven by strengthening research excellence;
- Heightened global engagement and an associated increase in international student numbers, now a key economic sector for the State;
- Significant capital investment in each of the university’s communities; and
- The emergence of a new model of higher education aimed at lifting productivity and prosperity by addressing the State's poor educational outcomes.
Professor Rathjen is returning to his alma mater, the University of Adelaide, as Vice-Chancellor.
5 December 2017, Edition 190